Saturday, December 31, 2016
Friday, December 16, 2016
This famous Temple is dedicated to Damodar deity – the reincarnation of Shiva God. Here such Gods as Ramnath (the incarnation of Lord Shiva), Chamundeshwari (the fierce form of Shakti, a tutelary deity), Mahakali (the Hindu Goddess of time and death, considered to be the consort of Shiva the God of consciousness, and as the basis of Reality and existence) and Mahesha (one more incarnation of Lord Shiva) are also honored and hold in reverence. Originally the Temple was built in the City of Margao, but in 1565 during the Portuguese Inquisition it was destroyed and a Church of Holy Spirit was elevated on its place. Darmodar is a place of worship for both Hindus and Catholics.
The Shri Damodar Temple is one of the most beautiful and famous architecture constructions in Goa. It stands on the bank of Kushawati River near the Zambaulim Village, just 22 km from the City of Margao on the border of Quepem region (Quepem taluk) and Sanguem region (Sanguem taluk), in Soth Goa.
Hindus believe that the Kushawati River is a sacred one place and that its healing properties help to get rid of different skin diseases.
This temple is dedicated to Goddess Durga, one of the most powerful of all Hindu deities. The main idol has the idol of Lord Shiva on one side and Lord Vishnu on the other. Lores have it that while Goddess Durga brought a ceasefire between the two, bringing peace to the world. Owing to this, she was named as Shri Shantdurga, which means peace in Hindi. It was built over a course of years from 1713 AD to 1738 AD.
Shantadurga is the mother Goddess worshipped by our countrymen since times immemorial. She takes various forms and shapes. In Bengal, she is the Durga, in Gujrat she is the Amba. She is the Dravidian Goddess who was incorporated in the Aryan pantheon. In fact in Goa, she was worshipped as 'ant¬hill' (roinn) by the pre-historic Goan people. The Shantadurga deity was brought to Goa by the Gaud Saraswat Brahmins who are supposed to have migrated to Goa from especially the Gaud region of Bengal, Tirhut (Trihotrapur) in Bihar. Tirhut, being the original place from where the deity was brought to Goa in the ancient times by the Saraswat community. These 96 Gaud Saraswat families who settled in 66 villages that is Sashi (Salcete). They built a shrine dedicated to Goddess Shantadurga at Keloshi a village in the present day Marmagoa taluka (then in Salcete). Her devotees began to worship her with utmost dedication. The Portuguese under the leadership of Afonso de Albuquerque conquered Goa in 1510 and throughout the 16th centure, owing to the conversion zeal of the government as well as the missionaries a kind of fear psychosis developed amongst the Hindus. In the Keloshi village, the devotees of Shatadurga were gripped by this fear of religious persecution. Hence, they shifted the idol of Shatadurga across the river in a clandestine manner into the Antruz mahal which was under the tolerant Adilshahi rulers. This shifting of the idol took place in the year 1566 during the infamous inquisition period of Goan history. The original temple which was rebuilt by Anu Shenvi None was destroyed and the idol of Shatadurga was shifted to a beautiful hamlet of the Mahars (Maharwada) who gave shelter to the devotees and the deities.
Vimaleshwar Temple is located in Rivona village of Sanguem taluka in the state of Goa, India. Vimaleshwar is a form of Lord Shiva and is worshiped in the form of a Shivalinga. It is a "Swayambhu" shivlinga. The Prabhu Dessai family of Rivona (GSBs) and the Daivajna Brahmins with surname 'Rivonkar' or 'Revankar' are Mahajans of the temple.
The temple of Goddess Mahalasa had been on the plateau of Verna village in Salcette taluka from ancient times long before the advent of the Portuguese rule in this part of Goa. It is said that Parushuram brought 10 Saraswat families in Gomantak from their settlements in Trihotra in the North. These 10 families brought with them their following family deities: Mangueshi, Mahadeva, Mahalaxmi, Mahalasa, Shantadurga, Nagesh and Saptkoteshwar.
Later, more Saraswat families came to Goa and they too brought with them their own family deities. In all, there were 66 families which settled in Salcette taluka. Of them, six families settled in Varyenapur or Varunapur (old Mhaddol), commonly known as Vernem during Portuguese rule and Verna now.
This is one of the greatest Shaivite shrines of Goa which has a chequered and turbulent history of more than one thousand years. Saptakoteshwar was the family deity of the Kadambas of Goa, and they honoured it by featuring the legend and the Shikara on their gold coins. The gold coins of Jayakeshi I (1050-1080AD) and Jayakeshi II (1104-1147 AD) carry the inscription. The temple was destroyed several times by the marauding Muslims and later by the Portugese. The Lingam itself is one of the most sacred relic which has been equated with that of the Kedarnath in the Puranas and its presence endowed on Goa the designation of Konkan Kashi. This sacred relief, however, had to be buried inthe paddy fields to avoid desecration and had to face the ignominy of being turned into the step of a well so that people drawing water could commit the sacrilege of stepping on it. This same mukhalingam, however, had the privilege of being venerated by two very illustrious personalities in the Indian history. Madhav Mantri, the famous general of the Vijaynagar Empire and The Great Maratha Hero, Shivaji Maharaj. Both of them, rebuilt, the Saptakoteshwar Shrine after its destruction. Though Saptakoteshwar is a Shaivite shrine, the Linga of Saptakoteshwar is considered not only the abode of Shiva but also of Vishnu, Brahma and Bhairava. Both Hari and Hara are present in the Linga. Krishna Janmashtami is celebrated on a grand scale in this temple. Taking bath on this occasion in the river near the shrine is considered meritorius. The belief is that the river becomes Pancha Ganga on the Gokulashtami day. Even in the 16th century large crowd of devotees estimated to be over thirty thousand would assemble and bathe in the sacred waters..
The Shri Mangeshi Temple is a Beautiful Temple Dedicated To Lord Shiva. It is considered to be the Most Important Temple In Goa, it belongs to the typical Goan Hindu temple style of architecture. It is very distinctive with its white towers, welcoming at the entrance even though it is small and exquisite. It is located on a Hillock at Proil which is in the Ponda Taluka, surrounded with lush greenery which creates a separate place in the hearts of the onlookers. It is 22 kms from Panjim and 26 kms from Margao. It is one of the largest, wealthiest and most frequently visited temples in Goa.
Legend has said that once Lord Shiva And Mata Parvati were playing dice in their abode at Mount Kailas. Shiva kept losing, and in the last roll of the dice staked his heaven. Having lost that too, he had to leave the Himalayas. He wandered southwards and presently crossed the Sahyadri mountains and came to Kushasthali, now Cortalim, where Lopesh, his faithful devotee, entreated him to remain. Forlorn Parvati, now heartbroken without Shiva, left heaven and went in search of him. In the midst of a dense forest she came face to face with a huge tiger. Shiva had taught her an incantation, “He Girisha mamtrahi” – O Lord of the Mountains protect me – but she was so frightened that she lost her coherence and uttered the jumbled incantation, “Trahi mam Girisha”. Shiva, who had assumed the form of a tiger, instantly returned to his normal form. And then at a much relieved Parvati’s behest, he added Mam-Girisha to the many appellations he is known by. Which is also how the village where the temple is situated came to be eventually known as Mangeshi, an abbreviation of Mam-Girisha.
Ramnath is a Divine Symbol of the unity of Hari (Vishnu) and Hara (Shiva). Ramnath is a compound word formed by the unity of two words Rama and Natha. So, Ramnath means the Lord of Rama. In another way Ramnath also means the one whose Lord is Rama. So, the Lord of Rama is Shiva and the Lord of Shiva is Rama. Shivshankar drank the poison (Halahal) which came out during the churning of the ocean. His throat became blue and he started getting burning sensation. That sensation was soothed by the recital of Rama Nama. So, our Ramnath is a symbol of unity of Hari and Hara and we should be proud of being Kullavis of such Daivat.
Must Read - Story Of Samudramanthan
The temple of Ramnathi is located in Ramnathim, Bandivade in Goa. This temple belongs to the Goan Brahmin community (Saraswat and Daivadnya Brahmins). Similar to other Goan Brahmin temples, Ramnathi too incorporates the system of Panchayasthan, therefore this temple house 5 main deities namely - Shri Ramanath (chief deity), Shanteri, Kamakshi, Laxmi Narayan, Ganapati, Betal and Kalbhairav, along with other family purushas.
The Tambdi Surla Temple Dedicated To Lord Shiva has a pillared porch and three stepped entrances and the shrine surmounted by a tower. It is quite small with a small passageway and has Shiva's vehicle, a headless Nandi bull in the center of the main porch.
A solid piece of stone work is the lotus shape carved out of the porch's ceiling. The pierced stone screen carrying the figures of deities that surrounds the door of the vestibule is another notable feature.
The small Shiva (Mahadev) temple of Tambdi Surla situated at about 18 km from the Bhagwan Mahaveer Sanctuary gate is the only surviving structure of the Kadamba Yadava dynasty. Thus it is the oldest temple of Goa, that survived from the Portuguese as it was set next to a stream in the middle of the small clearing, hidden in the dense jungle.
Lord Kamleshwara Temple,Goa
Shri Mahadeva Temple, Goa
Shri ramnath Temple, Goa
Lord Saptkoteshwara Temple, Goa
Sri Mahalsa Temple, Goa
Lord Vimleshwara Swayambhu Shivlinga, Goa
Goddess Shant Durga Temple, Goa
Lord Damodar Temple, Goa
Shri Mangeshi Temple, Goa
Lord Kamleshwar the beautiful Lord Shiva Temple situated at Korgao in Pernem which is the north most taluka of Goa. It is known to be built by a queen named Kamala who ruled Goa from Revatidvip (today's Redi).
The temple is about 200 years old and is the only temple in Goa that has a pair of stone images of Shiva's carrier, Nandi. These stone images can be seen directly opposite the shrine containing the deity. Near the Kamleshwar temple one can also see a beautiful image of Shri Vishnu and a beautiful life-sized image of a deity named Kuvaleshwar. The Bhumika temple that is situated nearby can also be visited.
Wednesday, December 14, 2016
Ghorwadeshwar Temple Gallery
Tuesday, December 6, 2016
It is the second tallest statue of Shiva in the world. The statue is 123 feet (37 m) in height, and took about 2 years to build. The statue was built by Shivamogga's Kashinath and several other sculptors, financed by businessman and philanthropist Mr R.N. Shetty, at a cost of approximately 50 million rupees. The idol is designed such that it gets the sun light directly and thus appears sparkling.
Wednesday, November 23, 2016
Bhakt Hanuman Temple
On these hills of Ramboda where Hanuman was searching for Sitadevi, the Chinmaya mission of Sri Lanka built a temple with Hanuman as the presiding deity. On every full moon day special pooja”s are conducted and witnessed by thousands of devotees.
The Kataragama temple complex dedicated to Skanda-Kumara is one of the few religious sites in Sri Lanka that is venerated by the majority Sinhala Buddhists, Hindu minority Sri Lankan Tamil people, Sri Lankan Moors and the Vedda people. It is a collection of modest shrines, of which the one dedicated to Skanda-Kumara, is the most important. Muruga is worshipped as a deity whom embodies the pure Hindu ideal of God being in all things and manifesting himself wherever he is called to with love.There are many stories about Murugan, or Skanda-Kumara as He is more commonly known there. Skanda-Kumara's place of worship is held dear by many Sri Lankans who consider the Kataragama complex and its temples holy and make annual pilgrimages there. But perhaps the most unique feature of Kataragama, and what makes it really stand out is its relative unassumingness. Almost all its shrines are unremarkable minor buildings free of any embellishment. There is absolutely no representation of deities decorating the exterior of the buildings. This is in marked contrast to any other Hindu temple in Sri Lanka or India, that are usually covered with carvings and statues of gods and goddesses in colourful scene. Practically all the shrines are made out of stone with the exception of one dedicated to the Goddess Valli which has been constructed with timber. Almost 2500 years later, Kataragama still holds a special place in the heart of devotees of Lord Muruga.
The historic Kandaswamy Temple in Nallur, not far away from Jaffna's town centre, is dedicated to Lord Murugan in the form of the divine spear Vel, a well-known symbol of Tamil religiousness. Founded in the 10th century this Skanda Temple was enlarged during the 13th to 15th century when Jaffna was a major principality of the island, particularly under Chempaha Perumal, who later on became the Sinhalese king Bhuvenaikabahu VI. in Kotte. The original Nallur temple was destroyed by Portuguese invadors and replaced by a church. But within the former temple premises, called Kurukkal Valavu, the current temple building was erected in 1749, during the Dutch colonial period. Nallur is renowned for the strict discipline, order and timing of its puja ceremonies and became a landmark of Tamil Hindu cultural pride.
Selva Saniddhi is the most northern temple along the famous Pada Yatra pilgrimage route. The temple is located in Thondaimanaru 25 outside Jaffna, in only 9 kms distance to Point Pedro, the northernmost spot of the island. Selva Saniddhi is a place of Vel worship. The venerated silver spear once has been brought here from its main sanctuary in Kataragama, called Katirkaman by Tamils. Selva Sannidhi is Sri Lanka's Murugan temple farthest away from Kataragama.
Sunday, November 20, 2016
Nagapushani Amman Temple is a historic Hindu temple located on the island of Nainativu, west of the Jaffna peninsula. It is dedicated to Parvati who is locally known as Nagapushani and to her consort Shiva who is named as Nayinar here. Adi Shankara, India's great 9th century Vedanta philosopher, identified the shrine as one of 64 Shakti Pithas. For Tamil people this temple for the goddess traditionally is eminently respectable. An annual 16 day Mahostavam festival of this Nagapushani Amman temple on Nainativu Island, held in June, is usually attended by more than 100,000 pilgrims.
The Ketheeswaram temple, also known as Tirukketisivaram, is a Sri Lankan Hindu temple with a two and a half millennia long tradition as a place of Shiva worship, even claiming to be more ancient than the Sinhalese and Buddhist era of the island. Tirukketisvaram (there are many diffferent English spellings) is situated in Mannar district, but on the Sri Lanka's mainland, opposite to Mannar island. The temple was rebuilt 1903 after being destroyed by the Portuguese invaders and religious fanatics in 1575. King Ravana's wife Manthodari is believed to have been from this town, and her father is said to have built the temple. Another legend has it that the planetary god Ketu worshipped Shiva in this shrine, this is why it is called "Keteeshwaram".
Gayathri Pitam, also spelt Gayaththri Peedam, inside Nuwara Eliya town is the first and foremost temple built for Gayathri Amman in Sri Lanka, Gayatri being an aspect of Saraswati and the Universal Mother. The temple was founded by the Gayathri Siddhar Swami Murusegu. The Shiva Lingam for this Tamil temple was brought from the Holy River Narmada. Gayathri Pitam is said to be the place from where King Ravana's son Meghanath propitiated Lord Shiva with penance and worship and in turn was granted super natural powers by the mighty god.
Manavari, about 6 kms north of Chilaw, is the first place where Lord Rama installed a Lingam, as a remedy to Lord Shiva after commiting Brahmincide by killing king Ravana who was a Brahmin. This Shiva Lingam in Manavari is called Ramalingam because it was made by Lord Rama. There are only two Lingams in the world named after Lord Rama, the other one being that of Rameshwaram in India.